How To Apply
We are now accepting teaching certification applications for school year 2018-19. Below are the steps you should follow to submit your application
First, secure a full-time teaching position and complete the Relay admissions application, which includes education and employment information. You'll also need to provide the following materials:
- Official transcripts
- Certification exam results (if applicable)
Follow up with recommenders, monitor your application status to ensure that all materials have been received, and accept your offer if admitted.
The recommended deadlines below help ensure applicants receive a decision before the first day of summer coursework. We have found that students who submit all their application materials before these deadlines are better set up for a successful first term at Relay. However, most programs accept applications after the recommended deadline from individuals who are hired later in the summer. Admissions is offered on a rolling basis and Relay can only review complete applications. Applicants can expect to receive a decision approximately four to six weeks after submitting a complete application.
Admissions for each program closes no later than the first day of in-person class. For more information on your program’s admissions requirements, visit your campus page.
Below are the deadlines for our certification programs, including Alternate Route Certification.
|Campus||Program Name||Deadline Date|
|Baton Rouge||Alternate Route Certification|
|Connecticut||Alternate Route Certification|
|Delaware||Alternate Route Certification|
|Delaware||MAT and Alternate Route Certification|
|New Orleans||Alternate Route Certification|
|Newark||Alternate Route Certification|
|Philadelphia & Camden||Camden Alternate Route Certification|
|Philadelphia & Camden||Philadelphia Alternate Route Certification|
Relay seeks full-time teachers who demonstrate a willingness to work hard, a commitment to improving their teaching practice, and a belief that all students can learn, grow, and achieve. In order to be eligible to apply for the Relay Teaching Certification program, you must meet the following admissions criteria:
- You must have an official, degree-conferred undergraduate transcript that shows proof of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education. Search your undergraduate institution in the College Source Online database to determine if it is accredited. If it is not, contact your campus for guidance. See “Transcript Requirements” below for further instructions on submitting transcripts.
- You must have secured a full-time classroom position at a partner PK-12 public school. (If your employment is terminated, you will have one month to regain employment as a PK-12 teacher in a grade and subject matching your Relay major and certification area.) If you do not have a teaching position and would like help finding one, we encourage you to apply for the Relay Teaching Residency program.
- You must have maintained a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.*
- You must complete all the required state certification verifications and exams by the deadlines.
- Your campus might have additional admissions and and certification requirements. Visit your campus information page for application timelines and further details.
*Non-Matriculation Status: Generally, applicants whose degree-conferred undergraduate transcript reflects a GPA of less than 2.75, but of at least a 2.5, will not be considered for regular admissions, but may be considered for non-matriculated status. Grade point average and non-matriculation requirements may vary by campus, so please visit your campus information page to confirm your requirements.
Please send official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (even where a degree was not earned). Relay accepts electronic and hard-copy official transcripts.
Electronic transcripts must meet all the following criteria:
- Sent via a third-party website to firstname.lastname@example.org (Relay’s Office of Admissions and Enrollment) with instructions for accessing the transcript via a secure username and password;
- Verified official by a third-party agency; and
- From a U.S.-based institution.
Applicants who attended an educational institution outside of the United States must submit an official hard-copy transcript in the institution’s sealed envelope to Relay AND have a course-by-course conversion of the international transcript translated into the American system by WES or another accredited Foreign Credential Evaluators (Find a list here.).
Hard-copy transcripts must arrive in a sealed, unopened institutional envelope, addressed to:
Relay Graduate School of Education
Office of Admissions and Enrollment
40 West 20th Street, Floor 7
New York, NY 10011
The Office of Admissions and Enrollment will only evaluate completed applications submitted by the final deadline. Admission to Relay is on a rolling basis, so we strongly recommend that applicants complete their admissions application as soon as possible.
After submitting the online portion of the application, make sure to take these additional steps!
- Prioritize sending an official, electronic or hard-copy undergraduate transcript demonstrating that a baccalaureate degree was conferred;
- Follow up with recommenders to ensure they complete Relay’s online prompt;
- Monitor your application status, including Relay's receipt of transcripts and recommendations, by logging into the admissions portal and visiting the Admissions Checklist;
- Look for an email informing you of our admissions decision; and, if admitted,
- Log in to the admissions portal and accept our offer of admissions and the terms of your admissions agreement.