Thank you for your interest in the Relay!
The admissions application for the school year 2020-21 is now closed. The application for 2021-2022 will reopen in spring 2021.
We would love to learn more about you! Please complete an interest form by clicking here, and we will inform you when the application for next year launches.
How To Apply
First, secure a full-time teaching position and complete the Relay admissions application, which includes education and employment information. You'll also need to provide the following materials:
- Official transcripts
- Certification exam results (if applicable)
Follow up with recommenders, monitor your application status to ensure that all materials have been received, and accept your offer if admitted.
Relay seeks full-time teachers who demonstrate a willingness to work hard, a commitment to improving their teaching practice, and a belief that all students can learn, grow, and achieve. In order to be eligible to apply for the Relay Teaching Certification program, you must meet the following admissions criteria:
- You must have an official, degree-conferred undergraduate transcript that shows proof of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education. Search your undergraduate institution in the College Source Online database to determine if it is accredited. If it is not, contact your campus for guidance. See “Transcript Requirements” below for further instructions on submitting transcripts.
- You must have secured a full-time classroom position at a partner PK-12 public school. (If your employment is terminated, you will have one month to regain employment as a PK-12 teacher in a grade and subject matching your Relay major and certification area.) If you do not have a teaching position and would like help finding one, we encourage you to apply for the Relay Teaching Residency program.
- You must have maintained a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.*
- You must complete all the required state certification verifications and exams by the deadlines.
- Your campus might have additional admissions and and certification requirements. Visit your campus information page for application timelines and further details.
*Non-Matriculation Status: Generally, applicants whose degree-conferred undergraduate transcript reflects a GPA of less than 2.75, but of at least a 2.5, will not be considered for regular admissions, but may be considered for non-matriculated status. Grade point average and non-matriculation requirements may vary by campus, so please visit your campus information page to confirm your requirements.
Applicants must send official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (even where a degree was not earned). Relay accepts electronic and hard-copy official transcripts. Electronic transcripts must meet all the following criteria:
Sent via a third-party website to email@example.com (Relay’s Office of Admissions and Enrollment) with instructions for accessing the verified official transcript via a secure username and password; and
Be from a U.S.- based institution.
Applicants who attended an educational institution outside of the United States must submit an official hard-copy transcript in the institution’s sealed envelope to Relay AND have a course-by-course evaluation of the international transcript provided by a foreign credential evaluator. (Please see our Guide to Submitting Non-U.S. Transcripts to Relay here.)
Hard-copy transcripts must arrive in a sealed, unopened institutional envelope, addressed to:
Relay Graduate School of Education
Office of Admissions and Enrollment
25 Broadway, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10004
The Office of Admissions and Enrollment will only evaluate completed applications submitted by the final deadline. Admission to Relay is on a rolling basis, so we strongly recommend that applicants complete their admissions process as soon as possible.
After submitting the online portion of the application, make sure to take these additional steps!
- Prioritize sending an official electronic or hard-copy undergraduate transcript demonstrating that a baccalaureate degree was conferred;
- Follow up with recommenders to ensure they complete Relay’s online prompt;
- Monitor your admissions status, including Relay's receipt of transcripts and recommendations, by logging into the admissions portal and visiting the Admissions Checklist;
- Look for an email informing you of our admissions decision; and, if admitted,
- Log in to the admissions portal and accept our offer of admissions and the terms of your admissions agreement.