How To Apply
Relay partners directly with central offices, CMOs, districts, and funders in the fall to allocate seats to our programs. Please work with your central point of contact as they ultimately decide who will attend the fellowship from your organization.
Please click "interest form" below to contact us and express your interest in the program or reach out to us as firstname.lastname@example.org. First, you must be nominated by one of our partner organizations to attend the Academy. See Admissions Criteria below for more information.
If you have been nominated by a partner organization, they will submit your name and email address to us so that we can send you specific steps to apply online. You will also need to provide these materials:
- Official transcripts
application & partnership deadlines
- FOR PARTNERS: We are now accepting partnership requests to reserve seats in our programs for 2019-20. The priority deadline to requests seats was Wednesday, January 9th. We will accept requests for partnerships/seats while space is still available. If you are interested in partnering and reserving seats in our programs, please review this partnership toolkit and reach out to email@example.com if you have any questions.
- FOR APPLICANTS: Applications were distributed in March of 2019 for participants who have been nominated by partnering organizations.
Recommended Deadlines & Cut Off Dates
The recommended deadlines above help ensure applicants receive a decision before the first day of summer coursework. We have found that students who submit all their application materials before these deadlines are better set up for a successful first term at Relay. However, most programs accept applications after the recommended deadline from individuals who are hired later in the summer. Admissions is offered on a rolling basis and Relay can only review complete applications. Applicants can expect to receive a decision approximately four to six weeks after submitting a complete application.
Admissions for each program closes no later than the first day of in-person class. For more information on your program’s admissions requirements, visit your campus page.
To apply to the National Principal and Principal Supervisors Academy programs, applicants must be sponsored by one of our national partner organizations. If your school district or network is not yet collaborating with Relay, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about the partner selection process.
Relay requires that National Principals Academy fellows meet the following criteria:
- Fellow is in a position to coach at least one teacher throughout the course of the program;
- Fellow is in a role that allows him/her to lead and complete assessments by delivering professional development, leading aspects of schoolwide student and staff culture, and leading data and feedback with at least one teacher; and
- Fellow embodies a threefold mindset of personal responsibility, openness to feedback, and relentless work ethic.
- Fellow must have maintained a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of a 3.0 or greater on a 4.0 scale. Applicants with a GPA of less than 3.0, however, may be admitted with a recommendation from their district or school management organization.
- Fellow must have an official, degree-conferred undergraduate transcript that shows proof of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education. Search your undergraduate institution in the College Source Online database to determine if it is accredited. If it is not, contact your campus for guidance. See “Transcript Requirements” below for further instructions on submitting transcripts.
Relay seeks to work with partner districts and school networks that have the right structures in place to support their fellows during this transformative leadership experience. Use our self-assessment tool to see if your district or network is ready to sponsor school leaders for the National Principal and Principal Supervisors Academy and implement the levers of leadership.
Applicants must send official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (even where a degree was not earned). Relay accepts electronic and hard-copy official transcripts.
Electronic transcripts must meet all the following criteria:
- Sent via a third-party website to email@example.com (Relay’s Office of Admissions and Enrollment) with instructions for accessing the transcript via a secure username and password;
- Verified official by a third-party agency; and
- From a U.S.-based institution.
Applicants who attended an educational institution outside of the United States must submit an official hard-copy transcript in the institution’s sealed envelope to Relay AND have a course-by-course evaluation of the international transcript provided by a foreign credential evaluator. (Please see our Guide to Submitting Non-U.S. Transcripts to Relay here.)
Hard-copy transcripts must arrive in a sealed, unopened institutional envelope, addressed to:
Relay Graduate School of Education
Office of Admissions and Enrollment
25 Broadway, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10004
The Office of Admissions and Enrollment will only evaluate completed applications submitted by the final deadline. Admission to Relay is on a rolling basis, so we strongly recommend that applicants complete their admissions process as soon as possible.
The first section of the online admissions application will ask questions about your intended Relay program. It’s very important that you answer those questions accurately, as follows:
Q. Select the option below that BEST describes your intended academic and certification pathway.
A.School Leadership: Principal and Principal Manager Fellowship (NPAF)
Q. Which Relay campus would you like to apply to?
Q. Will you be pursuing a degree through Relay?
Q. Will you be pursuing state certification through Relay?
After submitting the online portion of the application, make sure to take these additional steps:
- Prioritize submitting an official electronic or hard-copy undergraduate transcript demonstrating that a baccalaureate degree was conferred;
- Follow up with recommenders to ensure they complete Relay’s online prompt;
- Monitor your admissions status, including Relay's receipt of transcripts and recommendations, by logging into the admissions portal and visiting the Admissions Checklist;
- Look for an email informing you of our admissions decision; and, if admitted,
- Log in to the admissions portal and accept our offer of admissions and the terms of your admissions agreement.
25 Broadway, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10004