Experts estimate that150,000 new computing jobs will need to be filled in each of the next 10 years. There is a large gap between the demands of the industry and the number of qualified applicants. Additionally, women and people of color are underrepresented in these fields. Relay believes that computer science—and coding skills, more specifically—must be an essential component of a public education.
As a first step, Relay will partner with curious and experienced NYC educators to create a collaborative learning opportunity: The Relay Summer Coding Institute. During the Institute, Relay will train educators in basic coding skills, provide a rich experience observing coding instruction, and equip educators with practical skills to build a productive classroom environment for exploring coding with their students.
August 8-12, 2016
40 W. 20th Street
New York, NY 10011
FREE OF CHARGE
- Small group instruction developing basic coding skills with a content expert
- Observations of a master coding teacher working with a small group of middle school students
- Professional development to build a toolbox of techniques for facilitating computer science learning
- Networking lunches with like-minded NYC-based coding organizations
- Content knowledge to facilitate teaching coding in a classroom or after-school activity
- Monthly follow-up opportunities to ask questions, present case studies, and trouble shoot with a content expert, the model teacher, and colleagues
- An opportunity to become one of Relay’s 5 Coding Fellows for the 2016-17 school year: fellows will receive a stipend, ongoing support to bring coding into their classrooms, and the opportunity to partner with Relay to enhance the training for the 2017 Summer Coding Institute
Relay is seeking educators who want to contribute to the movement to prepare more students to explore careers in coding and computer science; who are curious about learning to code but haven’t known where to start; who are eager to join a community of like-minded, experienced NYC educators; and who are hungry to add more practical tools to their teaching toolboxes.
Relay will accept the first 20 qualified applicants to apply by May 30.
Email email@example.com for more information about the Summer Coding Institute.