Relay Philadelphia & Camden offers a one-year Certificate in Special Education program for experienced teachers who already hold a general education certificate. Upon completion of the program, you will be eligible for state certification in special education.
TUITION & AID
TWO-YEAR TEL CERTIFICATION PROGRAM TUITION & FEES: $36,000 ($18,000/year)
COST OF CERTIFICATION EXAMS*:
- PENNSYLVANIA: $520 - $615
- NEW JERSEY: $700 – $730
RELAY INSTITUTIONAL AID: $17,000
STUDENT MAX OUT OF POCKET TUITION COST: $19,000
Students may qualify for additional institutional aid toward total out of pocket tuition. Payment Plans also available. Please contact Student Financial Services with any questions or for more information.
*The cost of certification exams are determined by the States of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Download the Relay Philadelphia & Camden Pennsylvania Certification Highlights Guide or New Jersey Certification Highlights Guide for an overview of certification requirements and costs.
Philadelphia: Special Education Certificate (SPED) (Grades PK-8) and, Special Education Certificate (SPED) (Grades 7-12)
Teachers of students in Childhood (grades PreK-8) and Adolescence (grades 7-12) will complete the same scope of instruction, with opportunities for grade-specific differentiation built into the courses.
The Philadelphia & Camden Certificate in Special Education is a 21 credit hour program. Relay’s academic calendar and program structure are conducive to and designed to support the demanding schedule of a full-time educator and a part-time student. We deliver about 40 percent of the program’s content online, so that teachers have flexibility to complete coursework when it is most convenient for their schedule.
In addition to online coursework, teachers will attend regular in-person sessions, including:
- Weekly Class: Candidates attend in-person sessions one evening (6-8:30pm) per week;
- Two Saturdays Per Term: During each term, there are two in-person Saturday classes (10am-3:30pm);
- Weekly Intervention Intensive: Candidates work one-on-one with a student in their school once per week for one hour; and
- Online Only Coursework: There is online coursework associated with each in-person session and online-only courses occur at specific points in the year.
Relay has three terms each year (summer, fall, and spring).
RELAY PHILADELPHIA & CAMDEN ADMISSIONS and CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the standard Special Education Certification admissions and certification requirements, participants in the Philadelphia & Camden Certificate in Special Education program must meet the following campus-specific admissions and certification requirements.
Applicants must adhere to New Jersey Department of Education’s requirements for certification. Receipt of the standard teaching license requires the applicant to meet the following seven criteria evaluated by the NJDOE:
- Successfully complete NJDOE-approved coursework pursuant to a New Jersey standard teaching license;
- Possess a bachelor’s or advanced degree from a regionally accredited college or university;
- Certificate of completion from an approved 24-hour Pre-Service Program;
- Meet state-mandated minimum GPA requirements;
- Complete at least 30 credits in a coherent sequence of courses appropriate to the instructional area;
- Pass the appropriate state test of content knowledge; and
- Pass an examination of physiology, hygiene, and substance abuse.
Applicants must adhere to Pennsylvania Department of Education’s requirements for certification. Receipt of the standard teaching license requires the applicant to meet the following criteria evaluated by the PDE:
- Successfully complete PDE-approved coursework pursuant to a Pennsylvania standard teaching license;
- Pass the appropriate state test(s) for special education;
- Special Education PK-8 – Spec. Ed: PreK-8 Module 1 (8011) and Module 2 (8012)
- Special Education 7-12 – Spec. Ed: 7-12 Module 1 (8015) and Module 2 (8016)
- Possess a bachelor’s from a regionally accredited college or university;
- Meet state-mandated minimum GPA requirements; and
- Pass the appropriate state test of content knowledge.
Need help completing the admissions application? See below for helpful tips.
The first section of the online admissions application will ask questions about your intended Relay program. It’s very important that you answer those questions accurately, as follows:
Q. Select the option below that BEST describes your intended academic and certification pathway.
A. Philadelphia: 1-Year SPED Certification OR
Camden 1-Year SPED Certification
Q. Which Relay campus would you like to apply to?
A. Philadelphia & Camden
Q. Are you applying to pursue state certification through Relay?
Q. Select your major at Relay
A: Camden: Cert. (SPED): Teacher of Students with Disabilities Endorsement (Grades K-12) OR Philadelphia: Cert. (SPED): Special Education Certificate (Grades PK-8) OR
Philadelphia: Cert. (SPED): Special Education Certificate (Grades 7-12)
100 W. Oxford St., Suite 2100 E
Philadelphia, PA 19122
Discover Philadelphia and Camden
View the Relay Philadelphia & Camden Certificate in Special Education Gainful Employment Program Disclosure, posted in accordance with Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (required disclosures for non-degree programs).