The Newark Advanced Certificate in Special Education program is available both to teachers who are seeking special education certification, and to those who are already certified to teach special education and want to advance their skills. It is approved by Newark Public Schools for district teachers.
Participants who complete the Newark Advanced Certificate in Special Education program will receive 100 professional development hours and will be eligible for state certification which is a Standard Certificate with the Teacher of Students with Disabilities Endorsement from the NJDOE, if applicable.
TUITION & AID
ONE-YEAR TEL CERTIFICATION PROGRAM TUITION & FEES: $17,500
COST OF CERTIFICATION EXAMS*: $700-$730
RELAY INSTITUTIONAL AID: $8,500
STUDENT MAX OUT OF POCKET TUITION COST: $9,000
Students may qualify for additional institutional aid and federal aid toward total out of pocket tuition expense. Payment Plans also available. Please contact Student Financial Services with any questions or for more information.
*Certification exam costs are determined by the state of New Jersey. Download the New Jersey Certification Highlights Guide for an overview of certification requirements and costs.
The Newark Advanced Certificate in Special Education is a 21 credit hour program. Relay’s academic calendar and program structure are conducive to and designed to support the demanding schedule of a full-time educator and a part-time student. We deliver about 40% of the program’s content online, so that teachers have flexibility to complete coursework when it is most convenient for their schedule.
In addition to online coursework, teachers will attend regular in-person sessions, including:
- Weekly Class: Candidates attend in-person sessions one evening (6-8:30pm) per week;
- Two Saturdays Per Term: During each term, there are two in-person Saturday classes (10am-3:30pm);
- Weekly Intervention Intensive: Candidates work one-on-one with a student in their school once per week for one hour; and
- Online Only Coursework: There is online coursework associated with each in-person session and online-only courses occur at specific points in the year.
Relay has three terms each year (summer, fall, and spring).
RELAY NEWARK ADMISSIONS & CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the standard Special Education Certification admissions and certification requirements, participants in the Newark Advanced Certificate in Special Education Program must meet the following campus-specific admissions and certification requirements.
Applicants must adhere to New Jersey Department of Education’s requirements for certification. Receipt of the standard teaching license requires the applicant to meet the following criteria evaluated by the NJDOE:
- Successfully complete NJDOE approved coursework pursuant to a New Jersey standard teaching license;
- Possess a bachelor’s or advanced degree from a regionally accredited college or university;
- Certificate of completion from an approved 24-hour Pre-Service Program;
- Meet state-mandated minimum GPA requirements;
- Complete at least 30 credits in a coherent sequence of courses appropriate to the instructional area;
- Pass the appropriate state test of content knowledge; and
- Pass an examination of physiology, hygiene and substance abuse.
Need help completing the admissions application? See below for helpful tips.
The first section of the online admissions application will ask questions about your intended Relay program. It’s very important that you answer those questions accurately, as follows:
Q. Select the option below that BEST describes your intended academic and certification pathway.
A. Newark: 1-Year SPED Advanced Certification
Q. Which Relay campus would you like to apply to?
Q. Are you applying to pursue state certification through Relay?
Q. Are you applying to Relay's Teaching Residency program?
Q. Which one of these teacher prep programs applies to your status for the 2016-17 school year?
Q. Select your major at Relay
A. Newark: Advanced Cert. (SPED): Teacher of Students with Disabilities Endorsement (Grades K-12)
50 Park Place
Newark, NJ 07102
View the Relay Newark Advanced Certificate in Special Education Gainful Employment Program Disclosure, posted in accordance with Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (required disclosures for non-degree programs).